While researching our next edition–the annual Alcohol Issue that arrives January 1–we had the pleasure of hanging out with the founder of Compass Box at the 12th annual WhiskyFest, which took over the Marriott Marquis last month. John Glaser is an American-born maker of Scotch, which is rare enough already. But more importantly, he’s perhaps the only man in Scotch focused on mixing handcrafted boutique blends from single malt and high quality grain whiskies from other Scottish sources, rather than distilling them himself.
In fact, his creations are kind of like making a killer cocktail, whose composition is built from the best flavor-forward ingredients. And his most recent blend–called Great King Street, after the Edinburgh address where the company registered its name–is designed specifically for those who make drinks.
Since our city possesses the very best of those types of folks, Compass Box and Edible Manhattan and Edible Brooklyn decided to launch the Great King Street Cocktail Competition, to crown the very best cocktail made with Great King Street: Artist’s Blend and at least one seasonal ingredient. We imagine all our readers are pretty skilled when it comes to creating cocktails like these, but this contest is for professionals only, we’re afraid: Contestants must be associated with a bar or restaurant of some sort.
Submission are due by December 31 to email@example.com, and those chosen as semi-finalists must make their drink for a panel of tasters on January 23rd in Manhattan, with a winner chosen for both Brooklyn and Manhattan. In return, the winner will be featured in a full-page ad in the borough in which they’ve won. Here’s more on the rules and regulations and how you bartenders out there should submit your recipes. Until then, good luck, and cheers!
Compass Box/Edible Magazine Cocktail Competition: Great King Street, Artist’s Blend
All inquiries to Robin Robinson, US Brand Ambassador, Compass Box Whisky Co
firstname.lastname@example.org; 201-263-1141 o 201-527-7733 m
Competition will take place on Monday, January 23, 2012 at Ramscale Loft, 463 West St (at Bethune in the Westbeth Center), New York, NY at 7:00pm.
There will be 2 simultaneous competitions and winners: one for the “Best Great King Street Cocktail” in Brooklyn; the other for the “Best Great King Street Cocktail” in Manhattan
Grand Prize: The winner of each will be highlighted in a full page ad in Edible Brooklyn or Edible Manhattan:bartender’s photo, personal bio, venue name, winning cocktail to be featured. Feature will appear in the April, 2012 issue and run for 2 months.
1. The featured spirit will be Great King Street, Artist’s Blend. Bartender may use other Compass Box whiskies as secondary ingredients if they choose.
2. Bartender must use at least one locally sourced (New York State) ingredient. Bonus points for sourcing from home borough (Brooklyn or Manhattan).
3. Bartender must be associated with a venue in one of the competing boroughs (bar, restaurant, lounge)
4. Venue can enter more than one bartender to represent it
5. Besides cocktail, bartender will be judged on knowledge of Compass Box brand, Great King Street, professionalism and presentation
6. Winner will be announced that evening and featured at Edible’s Good Spirits event, February 28, 2012 at 82 Mercer in New York
Submissions due by December 31, 2011: via email to email@example.com; include
– Bartenders name, email and phone
– Venue name
– Cocktail name, exact recipe and list of ingredients
Preliminary judging will be done via tasting panel in early January where cocktail will be recreated by non-competing bartenders at The Rum House, 228 W. 47th, New York.
– A panel will conduct blind tasting of all submissions and pick 5 finalists from each borough to
compete in finals
– Final competition will be judged by 3 guest judges: food, press and cocktail background
– Competition will be invited audience of journalists from the food/bar/restaurant community