There will be an extra-special pop-up at this year’s Good Spirits, which is returning to Pier A Harbor House on March 8 at 6 p.m. One of the city’s most beloved cocktail bars, Williamsburg’s Maison Premiere, will be teaming up with Gramercy Tavern to take over the Commissioner’s Bar and pay homage to the botanical flavors that are so popular in cocktails and spirits right now.
“We’re planning on presenting a cocktail menu focused on aromatic, herbal and botanical-driven flavors and spirits,” says Gramercy Tavern bar manager Ben Howell. “We’re taking inspiration from Chartreuse, absinthe, gin, vermouth, and all things herbal and floral.”
Whether it’s a trained chef swapping out juniper for saffron in a gin, such as at Empire Spirits Project; Brooklyn-based Forthave Spirits playing with amaro, gin and aperitivos; or the new approach to Fernet by Arcane Distilling, we’ve seen quite recently how exciting it can be to take these kinds of flavors more seriously in order to really customize what ends up in the glass.
And because Gramercy Tavern is involved, you can also rest assured that the food will be just as thoughtful.
“To pair with the cocktail list, we’re planning on elevating the classic bar snack tray to something more thrilling and engaging, while still functioning as bar-friendly finger food,” says Howell. “Instead of nuts and pretzels, we’re imagining a selection of seafood bites, seasonal pickles, skewers and crunchy items. Our inspiration for the flavors will draw from the same palate as the cocktail list and the cuisine of the French mountain towns from which Chartreuse and many French vermouths hail.”
Update: We have the menu! The drinks collab will include:
- Bijou: Angostura Orange Bitters, Green Chartreuse, Cocchi Torino, Monkey 47
- Diamondback: Angostura Orange Bitters, Green Chartreuse, Laird’s 7.5yr, Ragtime Rye
- Lis Tigré: Bitter Truth Celery Bitters, Lemon Juice, Lemon-Thai Basil Cordial, Forthave Marseille, Monkey 47 Gin
- Jubilee Stomp: Angostura Bitters, Ginger Syrup, Rapa Giovanni Liquore di Noci, Lime, Ragtime Rye
- Rookoobay Royale: Lemon Cordial, Forthave Aperitivo, Mumm