How do we build stronger foodsheds where urban buyers and close-by farmers and producers can connect and thrive? How do we implement new market relationships to change food systems at the local, regional, andultimately at the national level?
The New School, Edible Manhattan and GrowNYC/Greenmarket present an afternoon of panel discussions and group conversations where experts, practitioners, scholars, and concerned citizens get together to explore these urgent issues including:
- Liz Carollo, publicity manager, Greenmarket/GrowNYC
- Mary Cleaver, founder/president, The Cleaver Company
- Jacques Gautier, chef and owner, Palo Santo Restaurant
- Gary Giberson, founder/president, Sustainable Fare
- Jim Hyland, co-founder, Farm 2 Table Co-packers and president, Winter Sun Farms
- Zaid Kurdieh, farmer, Norwich Meadow Farms
- Peter Miller, farmer Coordinator, NY Metro, Organic Valley
- John Moore, vice president, Dallis Brothers Coffee
Moderated by Shayna Cohen, Wholesale Greenmarket Specialist, GrowNYC; Brian Halweil, editor, Edible East End and publisher of Edible Manhattan and Edible Brooklyn; and Fabio Parasecoli, associate professor and coordinator, New School Food Studies Program.
The sessions will be followed by a keynote address by Carolyn Dimitri, New York University visiting professor and senior economist at the USDA Economic Research Service.
Refreshments will be served.
Wollman Hall, Eugene Lang Building, 65 West 11th Street, 5th floor (enter at 66 West 12th Street)
$10; free to all students and New School faculty, staff, and alumni with ID
Box Office Information:
In person purchases can be made at The New School Box Office at 66 West 12th Street, main floor, Monday-Thursday 4:00 to 7:00 p.m., and Friday 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. The box office opens the first day of classes and closes after the last paid event of each semester. Reservations and inquiries can be made by emailing [email protected] or calling 212.229.5488
For events scheduled during the summer term, the box office will open one hour before each event. During this period only, reservations can be made using the above contact information.