Bitter & Esters’ yeast class and accompanying tasting will delve deeply into the world of everyones favorite microorganism.
The yeast lecture will cover.
– A history of yeast as it pertains to brewing and home brewers.
– Yeast Nutrition, growth and chemical pathways that effect home brewers.
– How to choose and maintain a happy yeast culture in your home brew and how strain selection impacts beer flavor.
– Pitching rates, Propagation, starters, collection (top and bottom cropping) storage.
– They’ll discuss the changes in Yeast cultures over generations and how home brewers rinse & clean yeast to repitch.
Tasting – Lost Brittish Strains
During the second half of the class they’ll conduct a tasting experiment to identify flavor differences between yeast strains under ideal fermentation conditions. Bitter & Esters took a large batch of Pale Ale and Separated it into eight fermenters. They then pitched a different yeast into each fermenter.
More details here.